Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Super easy Kale, Sausage, and Tortellini Soup


A few weeks ago I looked in the fridge and said, "Ok, I have sausage and kale, what can I make???" I googled those ingredients and found a link this recipe. This is the tastiest, easiest soup ever!!! And, it really is just as filling as thy say. My husband is a big guy, but one bowl and he was full. Best part, you can get all the ingredients at the market! Now, I know its getting hot and the kale is going to want to bolt soon so bolt on down to the market this weekend and get some before its too late!

First, make a stop at Rettland Farm, get a pound of sausage. I like the "simply sausage" but I think any of them would work great. Now, I am a little crazy and I have to make all my soup stock myself. You CAN use canned stock and I will admit that I have done it in a pinch, but you can really taste the love when you start off with a whole chicken. If you have a crockpot this is also uber-simple and only takes a little forethought. So, if you're feelin' wild, also get a whole chicken, cook the chicken, pick it, make stock with the bones, and then make some chicken salad with walnuts and cranberries. Ok, the last part is optional, you may do whatever you like with the chicken, that's just what I did with it....

Next, go grab some onions and kale (or swiss chard or spinach). This soup works great with any kind of greens you can find. Just adjust the cooking time for some of the more tender varieties.

Finally, run over to your freezer or the grocery store. Ok, sorry, I lied. You can't get every ingredient at the market. You'll need a bag of frozen cheese tortellini to finish this delish and super filling soup. Unless you want to make your own, but from my past experience in making my own pasta, I won't be doing it again for quite some time.

http://www.lifesambrosia.com/2010/01/sausage-kale-and-tortellini-soup-recipe.html

~Tara from Wash Your Mouth Out Soap Company