Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Stuffed Zucchini


Ever make stuffed green peppers? Last night I made something pretty similar to this except that I used zucchini in place of green peppers. Here's the recipe. Keep in mind that I kind of made it up as I went along based on some ideas from recipes I found on the internet.

2 med zucchini
1 lb. Rettland Farm Simply Sausage
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 eggs
Large jar of pasta sauce (prego or other)
1 tsp. italian seasoning blend
salt/pepper to taste.
cheese of your choice (mozzarella, parmesan) to sprinkle on top either right before serving or during the last 15 minutes of baking.

Pre-heat oven to 350F. Slice zucchini in half length wise. Scoop out the seeds to make a hollowed out little zucchini boat. Place in a baking dish. Remove the sausage from the casing and place in a separate bowl. Adde the breadcrumbs, italian seasoning and breadcrumbs and mix together. Place your meat mixture into zucchini boats. Top with jar of pasta sauce. Bake for approximately 40-60 minutes or until done. Poke the zucchini with a fork and see if it is tender enough and make sure the meat is done. Sprinkle with cheese when serving or if you like your cheese a little golden brown, sprinkle it on when you think you get to the last 15 minutes of baking.

Notes:
*I had one of the giant jars of pasta sauce from BJs, but only used about 3/4 of it.
*Some of the recipes mention pre-cooking the zucchini a bit, I've seen this for peppers too. I just tend to throw everything together raw and then bake, bake, bake until it's done.
*Cheese-wise, I used colby because that is what I had. It was still delicious and my husband was really excited about seconds.

For those of you who don't like to fly by the seat of their pants while cooking, here is a link to a pretty similar recipe. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Stuffed-Zucchini/Detail.aspx